Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Leeky Goodness

Yvette sent me a fantastic recipe a little while ago. I finally made it the other night. If you like leeks (Mom, for one) this is for you. This one's a keeper!

Leek and Potato Quiche
(adapted version especially for Stef)

Ingredients:
As much leek as you want. I usually use about 3 big ones.
2 large onions, chopped
2 – 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced finely
3 eggs
1 container sour cream (mine comes in a 180 g pot)
2 tbsp cornstarch
Drizzle of cream or milk, if needed
Ready-made dry bread crumbs
One rolled-out pastry crust

Cut the leek into rings and wash them. I sometimes half them and then cut them. Depends if you want big rings or half rings. Wash the leeks.

Heat some oil in a skillet and fry the leek and onions. Add the diced potato and fry until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Or Aromat if you’re Swiss. Let cool.

Mix together the eggs, sour cream and cornstarch in a measuring jug. Fill up to the 400 ml mark with cream or milk if necessary. Season.

Prepare the quiche dish with the pastry. Either butter the dish first or use parchment paper to line it. Poke the pastry with a fork. Sprinkle some bread crumbs on it. Add the leek mixture, then pour on the eggs and cream.

Bake at 200°C for 1 hour in the lower half of the preheated oven.

Note from Stef: I cheated and bought a ready made pastry, also must've used really big potatoes and leeks because I ended up with enough filling for two pie crusts. Added an extra egg another 60ml of sour cream (to equal 1 cup total), splash of milk and also a sprinkle of nutmeg. I could hardly wait until this came out of the oven to eat it. Let it cool for a few minutes and then dive in - soooo delicious!

3 comments:

bill&gigi said...

What is 200 C in farenheit? About 350 F? Some of us do live in North America and need the imperial measure system!!!

Unknown said...

400F, actually. Lucky for me I have a cookbook at home that gave me the conversion (no math involved!).

Yvette said...

I hope you don't think I make my own pastry....I am only my mother's daughter to a certain extent!