Friday, January 26, 2007

Say it with me "Rutabaga"

Or just say turnip. Because it's the same thing. For some reason, I love turnip. Now I know lots of people don't but I do so you're going to get two recipes today! I made both of these last weekend.

This did come from a Canadian Living magazine but it must've been quite a while ago because I can't find it on their web site. This is delicious and the colour is fab! Thanks to my Momma for passing it on to me.

Rutabaga Sweet Potato Puree

Serves 8

1 rutabaga (about 2 lb/ 1 kg)
3 sweet potatoes (about 2 lb/ 1 kg), peeled and cubed
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup butter, melted or extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt (I only use about half this because I find the mustard has enough salt)
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1 green onion, minced

Peel rutabaga; cut into 1-inch cubes. In pot of boiling salted water, cover and cook rutabaga for 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and garlic; cook until rutabaga is tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water.

In food processor, puree about one-third of rutabaga mixture with butter, mustard, salt, pepper and reserved cooking water until smooth; scrape back into pot. Puree remaining vegetables; add to pot, mixing to combine. (Make ahead: refrigerate, uncovered, in airtight container until cool; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 dyas. Or freeze for up to 1 week; thaw in refrigerator. Reheat to serve.) Stir in parsley and green onion.

Per serving: about 165 calories; 3g pro; 6g total fat (4g sat. fat); 26g carb; 4g fibre; 15mg chol; 696mg sod.

This next one isn't exactly the way my mom does it, but it's close enough (the only difference is the flour). I always make sure to come home from Christmas dinner with some of this in my "leftover-goodies" plate.

Rutabaga and Apple Combo

Serves 6

1 large Rutabaga; peeled and diced
3 tbsp Margarine; divided
1 1/2 c Peeled; sliced apples
1/4 c Brown sugar
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
1/3 c Flour
1/3 c Brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook, drain and mash rutabaga. Add 1 tablespoon margarine. Toss sliced apples with 1/4 cup brown sugar and cinnamon. Arrange alternate layers of mashed rutabaga and sliced apples in greased 2 quart casserole, beginning and ending with rutabaga. Mix together flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar and 2 tablespoons margarine until crumbly. Sprinkle over top of casserole; bake for 1 hour.

Note from me: I just used the remaining turnips that I had and enough apples to cover the layers I needed. Oh, I didn't use cinnamon because I don't like it.

No comments: