Friday, October 20, 2006

Baton Rouge & Baked Potatoes

Went out last night with some friends to help celebrate a 40th birthday. For dinner we went to Baton Rouge. I had never been before. The food was OK. Nothing that great - except for the biggest and best baked potato I have ever eaten in my life.

Seems all the portions at this place are L-A-R-G-E. Except of course the vegetables. I had a garden salad before my meal and that was an average size. For my main meal I had the salmon and a baked potato. It didn't even come with vegetables! None. Because I'd chosen a salad to start, I could only choose between the potato and vegetables. I have to wonder if they offered smaller, more normal sized potatoes, maybe they could afford to offer a few veg on the same plate without making you choose between one or the other.

Let me tell you about this potato. I do so love the potato. It is versatile. It is tasty. It is filling. I especially love a good baked potato. (Now I feel bad for having to push the incredible roasted potatoes my mom used to make for Sunday dinners to the side, for the horribly fattening but ever so delicious greasy Quebec french fries and the incredible Swiss rosti that Why made for me.) This was a beautifully baked potato. Big, brown, with a soft yellowy inside, perfectly cooked through. I managed to abstain from butter and cheese, but did splurge a little with some sour cream. The only thing I would have liked was to have the skin more crunchy, but it certainly didn't stop me from eating more than half of it! It was practically a meal in itself. I will salivate at the thought of that potato for many a day to come.

We all had a nice time and it was pleasant to sit at a round table and be able to carry on a conversation with everyone.

1 comment:

Yvette said...

Yup, I have to agree: a good baked potato is a thing of beauty!