Friday, March 03, 2006

Library Book

Stopped at the library last night on my way home from work. Returned one book, picked up another, you know, the usual deal. Made it over to the bus stop, caught the bus and went home. A few hours later (after some Pilates and dinner) I sat down in my reading chair all ready to get comfy and cozy for an hour or so with my new book. In less than 10 minutes though, I had to put the book down. It seems the previous person had a cat. And this cat left behind enough of whatever it is that makes me allergic to them that my left eye started itching. I didn't realise at first what was going on, so I rubbed and scratched a little. Then when I couldn't see anymore I decided to have a look in the mirror. My eye was completely bloodshot and all swollen and gross.

Ended up taking the book, throwing it a plastic bag and placing it by the front door (as far away from me as possible). Then vacuumed around my chair, on the chair and on the bookcase. Then washed my hands in very hot water and bathed my eye in cool water. Spent the next 30 minutes with a cool damp cloth over my eye. The rest of the evening passed without mishap. The swelling had gone down this morning, but my eye is still just a little red. It's been a long time since I've reacted like that. Maybe the previous reader of this book had more than one cat. Oh well. Looks like I won't be reading that book and I will be making another trip to the library this weekend.

2 comments:

Sue Matthews said...

That's brutal! But now that you've mentioned it, I've had some bizarre allergic reactions that I've been unable to explain, and I've always got library books around...

Was it a good book?

Unknown said...

Yeah, I don't really know ... I only got about 20-30 pages into it.